Thursday, November 1, 2007

Still alive / pet peeves

Yes, sorry about that folks, but I'm still here.

And I finally got my email working again. You can email me at my first name @ e-c-t.ca - there, spammers, try and work THAT one out! This does mean, of course, that you NEED my first name to send me email... but then those that know me, know what it is.

I was talking to someone in SL earlier on today, and they asked me my one biggest peeve about other people in SL. I had to think about it for a time, but I did find something jumped out and hit me.

As those of you who know me realise, I am a roleplayer. I consider myself a good one, too. Which made me thought of something that always makes me role my eyes. I've never understood it.

Why some roleplayers seem to NEVER use the /me command.

MSN has it. Second Life has it. Hell, even the parlour chatroom has it. Most IM'ers use it without a second thought, especially if they've used IRC at all. I use it all the time, finding that it adds more (IMHO) to a roleplaying scene to see "Untameable Wildcat looks surprised" Than "Name: I look surprised" To me, that breaks the realism of the scene. When I'm on SL I like to some extend to BE Untameable Wildcat. She's a reflection of my Geminiic personality and therefore fun to play... so why - and this seems especially true for guys who want sex - do people lack the ability to use the /me command?

In the old days of paper and pencil roleplay, admittedly one had to use the first person when they spoke to the GM about their character - but this is the internet, it's kind of more advanced... surely if you can work out how to sit on a poseball, you can work out how to use the /me command and talk in the third person. It ain't rocket science. Being able to pose realistically in text, not just with poseballs should be a fundamental part of good roleplaying. You should master it if you're going to call yourself a roleplayer. Not doing so is my pet peeve of the month.

No comments: