Thursday, December 28, 2006

Yeah, I'm a Buddhist and I'm SEXAY!

The Noble Eightfold Path as told by Wikipedia:

Sila is morality—abstaining from unwholesome deeds of body and speech. Within the division of sila are three parts of the Noble Eightfold Path:

  1. Right Speech - One speaks in a non hurtful, not exaggerated, truthful way (samyag-vāc, sammā-vācā)
  2. Right Actions - Wholesome action, avoiding action that would do harm (samyak-karmānta, sammā-kammanta)
  3. Right Livelihood - One's way of livelihood does not harm in any way oneself or others; directly or indirectly (samyag-ājīva, sammā-ājīva)

Samadhi is developing mastery over one’s own mind. Within this division are another three parts of the Noble Eightfold Path:

  1. Right Effort/Exercise - One makes an effort to improve (samyag-vyāyāma, sammā-vāyāma)
  2. Right Mindfulness/Awareness - Mental ability to see things for what they are with clear consciousness (samyak-smṛti, sammā-sati)
  3. Right Concentration - Being aware of the present reality within oneself, without any craving or aversion. (samyak-samādhi, sammā-samādhi)

Panna is the wisdom which purifies the mind. Within this division fall two more parts of the Noble Eightfold Path:

  1. Right Thoughts - Change in the pattern of thinking. (samyak-saṃkalpa, sammā-saṅkappa)
  2. Right Understanding - Understanding reality as it is, not just as it appears to be. (samyag-dṛṣṭi, sammā-diṭṭhi)
So, where does this leave some of the "Buddhists" I keep meeting in Second Life? Well, for a start I do have my doubts about people who where a tag saying "Buddhist of SL" and yet have a profile flaunting - somewhat immodestly - how sexy they are. I've also met one or two very outspoken Buddhists, one of whom got very very cross in a highly unbuddhist manner when I dared to suggest that perhaps he'd deviated from the path somewhat.

One of the reasons I founded "Listening Ear" is my personal desire to follow the lines in the Wiccan Rede which say "Soft of eye and Light of touch - Speak ye little; listen much" Now there are times when I'm outspoken, and I don't deny I get cross from time to time - but, as Foamy says, there is no point in trying to pretend you are something that you're not. The point is, I don't CLAIM to follow a religion that teaches humility.

It really does give Buddhists in general a bad name to see people going around paying lip service and wearing the tag, when they obviously don't give a damn for the tenets of the religion.

No comments: